Thursday, March 23, 2017

Why buy syrup when you can make it?

Here is a super easy and tasty syrup recipe. I use this syrup on pancakes and waffles and as an ingredient to my favorite granola recipe. It is much cheaper than store bought commercial syrup and has zero high fructose corn syrup. While I love natural maple syrup, it is extremely expensive and uses a lot of fossil fuel to ship it to where I live.

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon maple flavored extract
Directions:

  1. Bring the water, white sugar, and brown sugar to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
  2. Reduce heat to medium-low, and stir in the maple extract; simmer 3 minutes longer.
  3. Store in a sealed glass mason jar in refrigerator (since it does not contain preservatives like store purchased varieties).

I buy the sugars in bulk in my own reusable containers from Whole Foods. However, even from a regular grocery store the white sugar is usually packaged in paper and the plastic bag for brown sugar can be recycled with other plastic bag. This is much less plastic than buying syrup in plastic bottles. The least expensive high quality maple flavored extract I've found was at https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B008OGD194 but availability varies.

Enjoy!

No comments: