Skip to main content

Newspaper Waste Elimination & Improvement

I'm a strong supporter of local news organizations -- they are critical for a community. However after a lifetime of enjoying a printed newspaper, I've kicked the paper habit. We no longer have a paper newspaper delivered along with its rubber band and (often) plastic bag.

Instead I now get an electronic edition on my Apple iPad each morning. The delivery interface has improved tremendously from the early days of e-publishing, it was a surprisingly pleasant switch.  I really like the interface to the newspaper on my iPad:





I:

  1. can still skim/see the whole page and its context (the resolution on the iPad is much better than the picture above),
  2. tap on an article to read it in a bigger/easier/clearer font,
  3. can zoom into pictures,
  4. navigate easily and quickly to links,
  5. quickly get to past editions as well as other Bay Area Newsgroup papers,
  6. no longer need to worry about non-delivery of papers (happens a few times a year),
  7. can now have the computer search for me instead of having to flip pages,
  8. and more...
This has been a win all around for me although old habits die hard.


Waste reduction summary:
  1. Matter (material):
    1. Replaced paper, rubber band, and plastic with electrons. Significant reduction in what previously needed to be transported and recycled.
  2. Energy
    1. Big win. Electrons are cheap to deliver.
  3. Time
    1. Big win. Don't need to go out to driveway to retrieve, call if it got lost, or suspend when we go on trips. Can get it on iPad or computer wherever I am if I want it.
  4. Space
    1. Big win. iPad is very compact, newspapers took up space inside and in recycling bin.
  5. Money
    1. Big win. Cost for the electronic edition is about one third the cost of the print edition. I already owned the iPad for other reasons.
  6. Environment/Health/Life
    1. Big win. No longer killing as many trees, recycling still has an environmental toll. Rubber bands can be reused but need to find someone who needs them. I usually gave them back to my paper delivery person which took some time and money to do. Eliminating the need for plastic bags is huge. Plastic survives hundreds of years and is poisoning our ocean and land as well as people as it comes back around in our food chain.

Comments

Switching the paper version for an online newspaper version works great for some people, but not everyone. I would do it except for three problems: I can't do the puzzles online; I would have to get a second expensive tablet for my wife; and my wife is a techno-phobe. Paper (both with books and newspapers) can be shared -- that's a kind of reuse too.
Tim Oey said…
Yes multiple readers is good reuse. Also that is a good point about doing puzzles online -- hopefully someone will fix that. You could print out just the puzzle onto paper but that is an extra step. As far as sharing, tablets can be shared too :-) At any rate, my wife rarely reads the paper so we don't conflict there. The SJ Mercury E-Edition newspaper app is super easy to use. And sending others clips of single articles or multiple pages as PDFs is easy as well. I've even archived entire issues at times to remember a particular event. It was tough for me to switch but now that I've done it, it is working very well.

Popular posts from this blog

The best way to dispose of dog poop

Based on my research, the best way to handle dog poop is to use a reusable pooper scooper and flush the poop down a toilet . Pros: - Sewer systems are designed to handle poop (yours and your pet's) safely and effectively (this was verified by calling the local sewage treatment plant in Sunnyvale, California) - The poop is treated and recycled fairly quickly and safely back into the environment Cons: - Need to carry the poop to a toilet - Need to purchase or make a reusable pooper scooper Here are other alternatives generally listed from healthiest for environment to least healthy. Use a flushable poop bag and flush down a toilet. Pros: - Sewer systems are designed to handle poop - The poop is treated and recycled - Easy to carry bag around to pick up poop Cons: - Flushable bags can "melt" in rain or other very wet conditions - Flushable bags should be kept sealed in another plastic bag before use - Flushable bags are a bit expensive and hard to find - Flushable bags smell

New Best Way to Handle Dog Poop

I've found an even better way to dispose of dog poop than the one I documented in 2008 at  http://ecopractice.blogspot.com/2008/03/best-way-to-dispose-of-dog-poop.html It works by using a funnel-like attachment on your sewer cleanout so you can drop the dog poop directly into your sewer line without necessarily using any water! Here is a picture of me doing this: This is neater and easier than putting the dog poop in a toilet to flush. Saves water too. The sewer cleanout accessory we use is the Doggie Doo Drain Dog Waste Sewer Line Attachment . The reusable device we now use to pick up poop on walks (instead of using a plastic bag) is  Nature's Miracle Jaw Scoop . It is easy to carry and holds the poop in the little bucket its jaws create. The medium size model can hold dozens of small poops or a couple of big poops from a big dog (we have little dogs). There is also a jumbo size if you need it. If the poop is solid and not sticky, no water is needed as the poop

Zero Waste Restaurant Takeout

  Take out food containers are mostly trash and cannot be recycled due to mixed materials and contamination. The good news is that it is legal and super easy to  get zero waste takeout from most ANY restaurant in California  that can serve onto its own reusable plates!! This way you can get your food to eat at home on real plates with real cutlery and not create any trash. Read on to learn how! In the picture above I am picking up a pizza in as Zero Waste way as possible from Jake's of Sunnyvale -- the pizza goes into an aluminum pizza container I made from two 20" pizza pans. The paired set of aluminum pans then goes into a reusable pizza bag that keeps the pizza warm -- watch out, a fresh pizza makes the aluminum pans very hot (and sterile)!  I bike it all home in my covered all purpose bike trailer. I use a clean sheet to line the inside when carrying food. Here is a sequence of pictures I took at a different pizzeria that show off the pans I use. I tried to find a couple o